Skip to main content

DIY - Baby Showers

If your life is anything like mine right now, you know about 20 people who just had babies, are pregnant or are trying to get pregnant.  And you know what that means... Lots of baby showers!  What a great excuse to throw a party!  Here are a few ideas I've been collecting that are so adorable they almost make me want to get pregnant myself!  Almost.  For now, I'll just share the goods with you.

Instead of buying the same ol' pettifors that you always see, make these building block cakes.  All you need is a sheet cake cut into squares and various icing colors to decorate.  If you're afraid you aren't skilled enough to draw the animals yourself, have no fear.  There are plenty of pre-made sugar shapes that you can buy. 


While I'm on the dessert train (when am I not?),  I have to show you this.  Another simple, DIY idea.  This particular cake probably took the work of someone experienced, but rest assure you can make one just as cute with a few substitutions.  Here's how I would do it.  

Make a double-layered round cake to get the height you need.  Top it with blue icing and some real rubber duckies instead of the cake ones shown here.  Coat the side with chocolate icing.  Instead of making the fondant wooden planks, dip graham crackers of various heights into melted chocolate and place them all around the side, using the icing as a glue.  Use an icing bag to create the bubbles and other details.  

Make the shower personal with photo luminaries.  All you'll need are several sets of cheap frames (Ikea or Dollar Tree will do), tape, candles, sheets of vellum paper and a some old photos of the parents to be.  Paint the frames whatever color you wish and remove the normal backing. Scan the photos of the parents and print them out on vellum paper.  Tape the paper to the backside of the frame.  Tape or hinge the three frames together and place a candle inside.  And there you go - instant centerpieces or decorations.  I think Martha really outdid herself on that one.  
  
Sweet is right.  Could this be any sweeter?  Now I realize not all of you (or none of you) will have this pink and gold wallpaper to set the stage, but the rest of the setup is so darling on its own, I don't think you need it.  In fact, all you need is a little creativity.  The banner can be created with ribbon and oversized letters printed straight from your home printer.  Cut out the shape you want and lace the message together with the ribbon.  I'd say it's way better than the store bought banners wouldn't you?  The letters on the tiered cake stand and the paper wrapped around the peony vases can be picked up on the scrapbooking aisle at your local craft store.  The rest is all about color scheme (pick a scheme and run with it) and cake stands.  I personally don't think you can ever have enough cake stands, although I'm sure my hubby would disagree :) You can usually find them at antique stores or thrift stores for $10 or less.  And if you'd rather not purchase them, borrow them from friends.  The eclectic look will only add to the charm.  Make sure to have various heights and sizes.  It will create balance and give the table dimension.

Keeping with the sweet theme, look at these adorable flower lollipop cupcakes.  So adorable and so easy to do.  Sprinkles.  Check.  Lollipops. Check.  Cupcakes. Check.  I'm not exactly sure what these particular leaves are made out of, but I would try shaping them out Laffy Taffy or Airheads.  Use your imagination!

This wreath actually belonged a friend of mine who, as you may have guessed, has an adorable son named Ridge.  Right when I saw it, I fell in love.  It's such a great alternative to the ever-present diaper wreath.  All you need is a grapevine wreath, a can of spray paint, a bow and a piece of unfinished wood hailing the name of the newborn.  I'm sure you can buy the wooden name board at a store on Etsy, but I think it'd be just as easy to make yourself (or with a friend who has cute handwriting).  :)

Lastly, I leave you with an idea that was on a baby shower invitation I recently received.  A message in the bottom corner of the card read "In lieu of a card, please bring your favorite childhood classic.  Let's build a library for baby (insert name) that will be fantastic!"  Such a marvelous idea.  Don't get me wrong, cards are sweet, but which will you read more-a card or a book?  I'm telling you now, this will be you on a future baby shower invite of my own!

Do you have any cute ideas of your own?  Which of the ones listed here is your favorite?
post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canopy Stripes

As I mentioned in a previous post, black and white canopy striped fabric is one of my current obsessions. It's classic, clean and oh so elegant. Not to mention that it can make a bold statement in a room without being too flashy. I normally favor a very neutral color palette with accents of greens and robin's egg blues, and this pattern could be put in any such setting and be beautiful. Here a few of my favorite examples: Is this room spectacular or what? It's modern, classic and sophisticated! There is a large amount of stripes in this room, yet it's not overbearing. And the symmetry and clean lines displayed throughout give the room great balance. I could just plop this room right into my house! This is another example (as shown in a previous entry). If you don't have the money to invest in a rug, buy a few pillows and get the same look in your room for a fraction of the price. Whoever said black and brown don't go together was seriously mistaken. Lo

Southern Gentleman Baby Shower

Last month I helped throw my best friend (we met in 9th grade speech class :)) Lauren's baby shower for her soon-to-arrive baby boy, Gunner.  The shower had a "Southern gentleman" theme complete with bow ties, silhouettes and gingham print.  Personal touches and family items were used throughout, including baby Gunner's dad's bow ties :) Gunner's daddy's "going home" outfit greeted guests at the sign in table, along with a framed "Southern gentleman in the making" print. A variety of centerpieces graced the tables with groupings of baby mementos, flowers and photos. An antique baby basket helped house the gifts. The drink menu consisted of milk, apple juice (one of Lauren's cravings), fruit-infused water and coffee. The menu was made of a variety of brunch goodies including fruit, doughnuts, muffins, shrimp and grits, breakfast casserole and a waffle bar.  And of course no shower is comp

Table Decorating Contest

Jon and I are leaving to spend a long weekend in San Antonio with his parents and his brother (who will be town from Arizona).  But before we go, I wanted to leave you with some pictures from the Officer Spouses Club Table Decorating Contest that was held last night. I called Jon on my way home from base, and he immediately asked "How was the contest?" to which I responded "Victorious." The 32nd FTS, our squadron, took first place! The theme was Silver Screen so we decided to focus on famous quotes from each movie genre. Each place setting featured a different movie. We had a "drive-in" for our center piece where clips of the famous quotes were shown. Welcome to the Jayhawk Drive-In! Wizard of Oz place setting. The glass had a button you could turn on to make the water swirl and look like a tornado inside. Also notice the witch's feet sticking out from under the plate :) A close-up of the yellow brick road I painted. Silence of the Lambs pl